Books

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Traditional Bashkir Dance Performance

On Friday night, I went to a Bashkir Dance Performance. Ben told me to make sure my camera had a full battery and was ready to take pictures and videos. I tried to heed his advice, but it didn't work.

So, here are some dances that I found. This first one was one that was performed at the concert I went to. It is called "Seven Girls". It is a legend of, well, seven girls who were going to be kidnapped as wives and, to avoid leaving their tribe, jumped off a cliff. A little strange, no?

I was trying to find a video of the men dancing with swords (when I went, they did fight with swords and you could see the sparks fly off their blades!), but I wans't able to. So, here's another one.


From what I can tell, these two are the most famous for men and women to dance.
One of the things that characterizes Bashkir Dance is that they move their feet quickly, even if you can't see them . The face pace is suppose to represent the briefness of life.

Craig and Lindsay took me to this and we met a girl named Galera (spelled phonetically). She didn't speak much English and I speak next to no Russian, so when we were left alone for a bit, it was very fun to attempt to talk with each other. We laughed as we tried to speak in the other person's language. Goalraw acutally lives in the same village I do, but she lives in Ufa during the school week (Mon-Sat). But, hopefully, we'll be able to see each other again before I go.  

I'll be posting again soon. Maybe before my Monday is over. Hope you all are staying (at least) mildly healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment