Books

Friday, October 17, 2014

With the Piguets

I have been at the Piguets the last couple of days, and I thought I'd show you some things that happened while I was there.

So, Craig and Lindsay both had various things to do Thursday afternoon, leaving Daniel and I in charge of the house.

 When Lindsay got back from the store, she had me follow a recipe for split pea soup. I, obviously, read next to nothing in Russian, so even though the directions were in English, the bag size and all was in Russian. All that to say, I made enough split pea soup to last them one night for the next several weeks - good thing they like it. But this made me laugh - the two bags of split peas were from the Western Hemisphere. One was from "Орегон"

(sound it out James and Zachary). It was from Oregon and the other was from Canada.










 Apparently,
they still trusted me in the kitchen 'cause Lindsay asked if I would make pancakes for breakfast the next morning (just so you all know, with everything I made while I was there, Lindsay had taken out all, or most, of the ingredients - helpful when some are in Russian!). So, black current pancakes were on and pulled off successfully.

The rest of the day was "normal" cleaning and baking. Speaking of baking, I found out what "caster" sugar is. At Fort Vancouver, there is a barrel labeled "Caster Sugar" and no one knew what it meant. Apparently, it is a very finely ground sugar, but not as fine as powdered. Very good for cakes and macaroons.



I am officially Aunt Rachel now to Daniel. He loves books - especially this one called "Bee" and especially the last page with the mouse (which he, on occasion, hits and is cheered on to continue this by Lindsay). He has begun to love books sooo much, that he decided they must taste as good as the look.




Well, now I'm back with Amy and Jeremy and the boys. I really should head off to bed now. I hope you all have a good Friday!

3 comments:

  1. "The babies are cute and they look nice. I made a paper chain to help me know when you will be home. It is purple and orange. Except the last day is pink! Are you REALLY coming over to our house after you get back? I hope so! We should have a tea party!" ~Ava




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ava! I love the chain and that it has both our favorite colors on it! I would love, love, love to go to your house when I get back and I would love to have tea, too! I hope you are doing well, Ava. Miss you! ~Rachel

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete