Books

Friday, April 14, 2017

Back Seat Driver #2

This is my panda bear 海洋 (Ocean/Haiyang); she has just arrived from Chongqing, China.

This traditional dress was a little harder than I expected it would be; partially because there are so many different style of the Chinese Hanfu. I also needed to decide if I would embroider this one, sketch it, or paint it. In the end, I had a great mixture - I hope. :)

I've been having fun making my own pattern for the Back Seat Drivers. Last time it was much more geometric (I also had been studying that style for a bit). For the Hanfu, I did a bit more of pin and cut and - hey - it worked out. (I would be embarrassed to show anyone who actually worked at making the Hanfus, but I don't think I have anyone like that in my audience. :)


As for the last project, my sewing machine was broken. (I'm really gonna need to fix that before I work on "the big project".) I felt like I had more control over the pattern hand-sewing. I had a sheer material that I put on top of the gold - that was a bit difficult and I think I would have gone too quickly on the sewing machine.

I did embroidery on the Hanfu and penmanship. I was going to embroider her name on the sash, but I didn't do that first and so ran out of embroidery room. I ended up writing it out with a sparkly-brown gel-pen. :)




3 comments: