Books

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Spring

Spring is beautiful! We are having our one week of amazing weather right now and it's making me want to have summer. One of the nice things about where I live is that you are always excited for the weather to change. :)


One of my favorite things about Spring is all of the animals being born - usually it's enjoyable, but sometimes there are lessons to learn. For instance, this year I was babysitting when the family's cat gave birth to seven kittens - they were practically the size of pickles from top to bottom.

Following the day I got home from babysitting, James' ewe, Nellie, started really looking like she was going to go into labor. (WARNING!! I'm not going into to much detail, but if you get sick to your stomach easily, you might nt) Wednesday morning, 5:30ish am, Nellie started having issues birthing. I went down a little later with James, Mom, and Grace - there was one front hoof sticking out and it had been that way for about 30 min. I thought we would need to help her with the birthing, but since James owns them, it was up to him and we would all help in whatever way we could. He decided we should help. It was very interesting to watch - we weren't sure if we were touching Nellie's backbone or if it was the lambs head, but James did a masterful job. We have never had to do this before, but he got the baby out. He was still-born. I had to leave to go to work and while I was gone, two more were born in the same manner: one boy and one girl - all still-born. (Nellie actually hasn't moved from that position from yesterday - we are hoping she will make it).
(WARNING ENDED: THOSE WITH SICK STOMACHS MAY CONTINUE TO READ WITHOUT FEAR)
lambs from 2012
I have had lambs die - both still-born and having died after a month or two of care and have watched it happen as I've tried to help them live. It makes you realize how out of control we are and how in control God IS.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your guy's loss!
    I know all to well what its like having a critter lose a baby.
    I hope she recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete