Books

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

He Watches Over


Things I'm learning in a new way these past few weeks.

What not to do when you're anxious:
1. Watch movies or TV or Korean Dramas - this is a form of escapism. It is not addressing the issue, but running away from it. But be warned, as soon as the show is done, you will return to your mental turmoil.

2. Keep yourself busy working, reading, and doing activities - this is, again, a form of escapism and renders the same consequences as above.

3. Talk with your friends and authorities about it. Ok, this one is hard, because while it can be helpful... if you feel anxious or are afraid of something, you may have passed the "common sense" realm and your imagination has gotten the better of you. They can talk to you till they're blue in the face, but it cannot change your disposition.

There is one thing that has helped me. One person who has spoken peace into my heart but told me he even cared about my imagined fears. I have personally been struggling with COVID fears. I'm not afraid actually of having it, if I can't go to work, that's fine. But for some reason, the idea of getting the symptoms of COVID has kinda paralyzed me. I have to decide if I wanna go on a hike or if I should stay home so that I won't start getting symptoms instead of saying, "I'm fine and healthy. Let's go do something heroic!" I wanna stay home and avoid any possibility of getting sick. Which in honesty is out of my control.

While I was struggling with this, I received a news letter from Capernwray Hall, England talking about these fears. 
"The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night." Psalm 121:6

It was common belief at that time in history that while the sun gave you sunstroke, the moon could also strike you and make you go insane (hence the word lunatic). 

God knows when we have truly unfounded fears (but fears that are promoted by the world around us) and we have legit concerns, worries, or fears. He says in this Psalm, "I am watching over you" about 6 times and there are only 8 verses. 

I'm learning - it's not like I don't panic anymore, but when I do panic, I am trying to make it my practice to lift my eyes to the Maker of heaven and earth. The One who does not sleep of slumber. The One who knows my legit fears and unfounded fears. The only One who can truly speak peace into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment