Books

Friday, December 30, 2016

Running Into 2017

In general, I love running. I feel so much better after I run and feel like I can breath and think. Some races I love, and some - well, we can say I have a love/hate relationship with. I love difficult races because they are a challenge and I love to say, "Oh yes, I ran that one." - I "hate" them though, because I don't always finish them the way I want to have finished them.

One of the races I ran this past year was the worst race I've ever run - not based on time, but based on endurance. I stopped and walked. "Therefore, we also, since we surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our race," This was the "running" passage my dad had for us when we were younger. While I walked, this sauntered through my mind. As it slowly made it's way through all the passages of my brain, I thought about other aspects:

1. When we run with endurance and do not walk or stop, we are an encouragement to those we run with and against - we each would like to win, but at least we are all still running.
2. When you stop to walk or even stop, it is a discouragement - "If they are walking, it's ok to - I mean, this race is tough and, well, I'm tired."
3. It is interesting that, even if you finish well in a race that you walked in, you will not do as well as you would have if you had continued to run. You cannot make up lost time in a race.

This "Run with Endurance the Race that is set Before You" speeds through every aspect of life. Are you wasting time right now reading this because you're avoiding reading your Bible, doing chores, or fulfilling a commitment?

I don't know how your race was this last year in 2016. I don't know where the steep hills were or if you just had a type of "plateau". You can't change what happened this year, but, having learned from this past year, you can change you race plan to hopefully be more successful this year. If you plan goals, don't make outlandish ones. Make simple feasible goals as well as goals that will push you. Don't make goals lightly either - be willing to change them, but not lazy with them. Remember, people are watching you.

1 comment: